EDITOR’S NOTE: This guest post is from DomainKing.NG, a managed hosting provider in Nigeria offering affordable domain names, web hosting & WordPress solutions to developers, web designers, ecommerce stores & all SMBs.
Are you looking to start your own online store?
I know that it can be exhausting to build an online shop especially when you are a small business owner who has no technical experience. But we will do the hand holding for you & make it very easy for you to create your professional online store with this guide.
Just so you know, it’s very easy to set up your own online store & it does not require much money or coding experience.
This can be done with the help of open source website creation tool like WordPress. It is a very powerful CMS (Content Management System) that powers over 30% of the entire internet websites. And the best thing is that it’s very easy to set up & use.
So let’s get rolling!
Before starting, let me list to you all the pre-requisites that you need to have for starting your own online store. The things that you need to get before starting:
- Laptop & Basic Computer skills: First and foremost, you should have basic computer skills to follow our simple steps. Don’t worry, it won’t be very hard.
- Domain Name & Web Hosting: A domain name is the name of your website. For example: In google[dot]com, “Google” is the name & .com is your domain extension. You can go for .com if you are starting a global store & .ng if you are creating your store for Nigeria.
Once you have the domain name, you will also need a web hosting. This is a storage space on the server where all your files like your photos, data etc. will be located. Whenever someone visits your website, it will be loaded from your Hosting. So be wise to choose a good hosting provider.
You can buy domain & host together from DomainKing.NG where you will get a free domain with all hosting plans.
- Voguepay account: The main purpose of your store would accept payment online from your clients, right? So you would need a trusted gateway using which your clients can pay you with their Visa cards, Mastercards or Verve Cards.
That’s where Voguepay comes in. You can accept online payments online for very low fees of just 1.5% for every transaction. You can create your Voguepay account as a merchant in just 5 minutes.
Now let’s start creating our store.
Step 1) Install WordPress
Once your domain and hosting plan is active, you need to install WordPress on your hosting account which will hardly take your 1-2 minutes.
Most of the hosting providers offer 1-click installation for WordPress via Softaculous in cPanel. All you need is to set up your Admin user & password (which you will be using to login later), then clicking install. That’s it.
Follow this easy WordPress Installation guide to setup WordPress on your website & get it running.
Now follow the next step.
Step 2) Install and Configure the Woocommerce plugin
Once WordPress is installed, login to your WordPress admin panel
Normally some WordPress installation may include the pre-installed Woocommerce plugin. If not, then you can install it by navigating to Plugin > Add New from the left side of WordPress Admin panel.
In the plugin installation page, you need to type Woocommerce and then install this plugin from the search result.
Once the plugin is activated, it will automatically setup necessary pages like a shopping cart, checkout pages for your online store.
But there is some setup wizard that you need to configure as described below:
- Setup Store: Your business will be defined in this step. You need to enter the basic information of your store like name, address and contact details, etc.
- Payment: After setting up the online store, you will be redirected to the payment page. You can configure any preferred payment option from the listed menu. In case you want to configure local payment gateway like Voguepay, I will explain it after this setup.
- Shipping: Shipping charges and shipping zone will be defined in this page.
Step 4) Add your First Product:
Now your store setup has been completed. You need to enter your first product in your online store.
So for adding a new product you just need to navigate to Products > Add New from the left side of the Navigation bar in the WordPress Admin Panel.
Integrate Voguepay for collecting payments:
Once the store setup has been completed, you need to integrate the payment gateway for accepting online payments from your customers.
Now follow the below steps to get started:
Step 1) Install Voguepay Plugin:
1) Go to the dashboard of your WordPress Panel.
2) Navigate to Plugins > Add New from the left side of menu bar.
3) Now search Voguepay plugin by writing Voguepay in the search box. Or you can directly download any popular Voguepay plugin for Woocommerce.
4) Click on the Install button from the search result to install the Voguepay plugin. After installation, you can activate the plugin from the same window.
Step2) Configure Voguepay settings:
- Navigate to Woocommerce > Settings from the left side of the menu bar in the admin panel.
2) In the settings page, Voguepay Payment gateway option will be shown at the top of the screen. Click on “Voguepay payment gateway” to configure it.
3) While making Voguepay as default payment gateway you need to configure some settings as described below:
Enable/Disable: You can enable or disable Voguepay gateway on your cart from this option.
Title: You can enter your store and it will display to your customers on the checkout page.
Description: You can write any custom message here for your customers which you want to display on the payments page.
Voguepay Merchant ID: Enter your Voguepay merchant ID. You will get it by logging into your Voguepay panel.
4) Click on Save Changes button.
Congratulations! Your store has been set up for accepting payments online and you can now list all the products that you want to sell online.
Now you should share your online store address with all your friends on social media sites to get more traffic to it.
Starting your online store & integrating Voguepay with it offers a vast opportunity to you to expand your business by accepting payments online in Naira & even in other currencies from your local or international clients.
I hope you find it very easy to start your online store with this guide. Even if you are a non-technical user, you can still start your store now without any hesitation.
In case you also have digital downloads such as ebook, audiobooks, and pins to sell, kindly click here to learn more.
DomainKing is Nigeria’s #1 Domain Name Registrar & Web Hosting Company with operations in over 4 countries including Nigeria. They are accredited with over 16 Asian, African & Global Domain Registries including NiRA (.NG Domain Registry), ZACR (.ZA), DotPH (.PH), NIXI(.IN), .PW & CentralNic to bring the best services to our clients at the lowest prices. You can follow DomainKing on Facebook.